ADVENTURES IN ADVAITA VEDANTA...

Adventures in Advaita Vedanta, the philosophy and science of spirit. We are one you and I; are you curious why?..


Self Expression

Hari Om

'Freedays' are the 'gather our thoughts' days; Q&As; a general page reviewing the week so far…

Due to travel commitments there is little time to present the usual editorial commentary here. Instead, a poem inspired by a moment of recognition whilst taking on ever deeper studies at Sandeepany Sadhanalaya. (This poem appears elsewhere, but it bears revisiting here, which is possibly a better 'home' for it.)


 NEXT...

Here I stand atop a hill
see there is a mountain still

Breathing hard with blazing heart
I gaze upon the travelled part

Know my steps yet see no mark
burned by following God’s spark

The work that’s done dropped away
the next task comes to fill the day

He tells and helpless I hear
“that mountain’s to climb my dear”

Now the heart begins to quake
feels worthless this path to take

Oh Dear Lord please take my hand
I may trip please help me stand

Having reached this higher ground
less is the company I’ve found

You alone can shed the light
which draws me on to that height

Give me courage give me strength
to travel full journey’s length

Let not disciple’s descent
spoil the worth of this life spent

in pursuit of Truth I’m told
there Your glory to behold

Listen! Om is the signal and  Om is the sound
Unravelling the cords by which Maya has bound

Held captive to nought but our own misbehaviour
And it is our Own Self who will be our saviour

Comes a time when we must stop doing start seeing
Allow Nature’s song to replenish our being
Pause
Ah yes…
sweet sweet indeed are the notes of unspoken earth
which carry us beyond to a place without birth

                         ©2013 Yamini Ali MacLean

During mananam, (sometimes even in the shravanam itself) inspiration arises and insists on being made full. Experiment with some poetry for yourselves (if you do not already); no one has to see it if you don't wish them to.  However, in seeking to get to the depth of a particular thought, this can be a wonderful tool to 'crack it open'!