ADVENTURES IN ADVAITA VEDANTA...

Adventures in Advaita Vedanta, the philosophy and science of spirit. We are one you and I; are you curious why?..


Use All Available Knobs

Hari OM
Story-day is for cultural exploration, puraanas and parables and finding out about leading lights in spiritual philosophy.

Gurudev was an erudite man. He had the great gift, too, of bringing ancient understanding bang up to date. Here is an example he used for why it is we should look at all the 'knobs' in life!

Is Spiritual Knowledge a must for Right Living?
Somebody once donated a radio and said, “Swamiji, this is yours!” He told me how to switch it on when I admitted that I know little about the radio. Every morning when I would switch it on, cheap cinema songs would be heard and I would switch it off. Further I received only Colombo station. So next day in the satsaá¹…ga I told them that the radio is useless as I was not getting Delhi station at all.
In the satsanga was present the general manager of Philips. When he heard me saying that the Philips radio was useless, he came to me and said, “Swamiji, I am from Philips. Were you complaining about the Philips radio?” I said, “This radio is Philips and whenever I switch it on, no other station except Colombo is heard.” The general manager smiled and told me, “Swamiji, there are four more knobs. If you turn the first one, it receives various stations. The second knob is used to control the volume. The third is ‘tuning’ to eliminate disturbances.” Then when I started using it, it was working beautifully!
All of you are beautiful machines, guaranteed for life, until you die! But you do not know how to use it. You create disturbances for yourself and others. You do not know how to remove them. You do not know which knob to control. You have been given a wonderful life as a gift.
You did not ask for it. The moment you emerge from the mother’s womb, varied faculties have been given to you as gifts. You take them home to make use of them. But if you misuse and abuse them, then you are digging your own grave of sorrow and tension, stresses and strains, and you also distribute the same to others continuously!
We do not study the scriptures and, therefore, we do not know how to grow through their use. God has, in fact, created a beautiful world. You make it dirty by your choice. You have the freedom to do so!
If I don’t have the knowledge, even if the machine is beautiful, I cannot make use of it. Unless one knows the scriptures, no one can live perfectly in any department of activity.