ADVENTURES IN ADVAITA VEDANTA...

Adventures in Advaita Vedanta, the philosophy and science of spirit. We are one you and I; are you curious why?..


Clear The Cobwebs

Hari OM

Story-day is for cultural exploration, puraanas and parables and finding out about leading lights in spiritual philosophy.

It is unnecessary, no doubt, to tell you that today is Hallowe'en - upon which night all the jiivas separated from their earthly bindings float freely about the ether (bhuvar-loka), having not made it through to heaven. Among them will be those awaiting the judgement call of All Saints - tomorrow.

Meanwhile, one can use the analogy of ghost to refer to the vaasanas; those time-bomb inclinations and suppressed memories or behaviours which can arise at the most inconvenient moments to cause us to falter on our path if we have not been sufficiently diligent in actively rooting them out of our system by saadhana. Today, for a little different twist on the theme, the lyrics of a 1980s song are given here, for they portray this concept very well. As we go into the night of the spirits, ponder on your own 'ghosts'; resolve to be your own judge this once and destroy or elevate them as you see fit. Do not let them lie to haunt you at some later and much more important point in your journey.

GHOSTS (group 'Japan')
 
When the room is quiet, the daylight almost gone
It seems there's something I should know
Well, I ought to leave but the rain, it never stops
And I've no particular place to go

Just when I think I'm winning
When I've broken every door
The ghosts of my life
Blow wilder than before

Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life
Blew wilder than the wind

Well, I'm feeling nervous, now I find myself alone
The simple life's no longer there
Once I was so sure, now the doubt inside my mind
Comes and goes but leads nowhere

Just when I think I'm winning
When I've broken every door
The ghosts of my life
Blow wilder than before

Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life
Blew wilder than the wind